Re: docstrings and elisp reference

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: docstrings and elisp reference
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2017 11:13:25 -0400

>> > The original proposal was for a literal copying of the same text.
>> > Drew was talking about duplicating the information, but expressed
>> > in a different, sometimes very different, form.
>> And my problem is that it's very often expressed in a very similar form,
>> if not copied verbatim.
> Sometimes that is appropriate.  Other times it isn't.

My proposal was to enhance our tooling so that instead of manually
copying the text, the copying is done dynamically, based on special
references.  It wouldn't prevent us from having manually written docs
for those cases where "copied verbatim" is not appropriate.

Of course, it would encourage the "verbatim copy", and hence discourage
the "specially hand crafted doc".

        Stefan