Re: Native display of line numbers

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Native display of line numbers
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2017 21:25:52 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2017 12:41:50 -0400
>
> > So with that in mind, I came up with an implementation of a native
> > display of line numbers.
>
> Cool!

Thanks.

> >   . it works significantly faster (almost twice as fast as linum-mode,
> >     50% faster that relative-line-numbers-mode)
>
> Should I read this to me that the speed difference w.r.t nlinum is not
> that large, or you didn't bother comparing?

See my other message: I did compare with it, of course, but the
performance was very poor.  Maybe it wasn't supposed to provide a
great performance in a file like xdisp.c.  Or maybe my benchmark is
skewed (in which case I'm sure you will provide a better one).

> >   . it works with R2L text, something the old modes never did
>
> I didn't know there were problems with R2L text.  Worse: even now that
> you tell me, I can't think of nor find a problem with it (other than the
> choice of whether to display the line numbers in the left or right
> margin).

The fact that the numbers are always displayed on the left is bad
enough; worse, the digits in the numbers are in reverse order.  E.g.,
visit TUTORIAL.he, then turn on linum-mode or nlinum-mode, and watch
the numbers closely.