Re: master 739593d 3/5: Make gnus-copy-file act like copy-file etc.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: master 739593d 3/5: Make gnus-copy-file act like copy-file etc.
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 00:17:06 -0400

>> But it might have to be documented in also the Gnus manual, as
>> `gnus-summary-save-article' that uses the function doesn't
>> specify a destination and a user has to enter the directory name.

> The special behavior with gnus-summary-save-article and directories (or
> directory names) was not documented. Although I'm not a Gnus expert
> I took a stab at documenting the current behavior by installing the attached
> patch. If we revert the Gnus change (or make further changes) then this part
> of the manual will need to be revisited.

Maybe the interactive behavior could look as follows:

- when copying/renaming to "/foo/dir", first do it as we do now.
- if it signals an error because "/foo/dir" already exists, check if
  it's a directory.
- if it's a directory, ask the user to confirm that he meant "/foo/dir/"

That would let the user learn that he should have written "/foo/dir/" in
the first place, and so should slowly get him to avoid the prompt.

        Stefan