Re: Win32 GnuTLS DLL installer?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Win32 GnuTLS DLL installer?
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 20:44:05 +0300

> From: Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 13:33:40 -0400
>
> EZ> So whenever the current branch sees a new release, someone would have
> EZ> to port it to Windows and provide the binaries?
>
> I'd check for the binaries that are actually available, so it wouldn't
> do anything other than saying "hey there's a new DLL you should run."

Available from where?  Surely, we won't want to recommend
security-related DLLs whose quality we cannot guarantee, would we?
And how can we guarantee quality of DLLs built by someone out there,
about whose build procedure and its QA we know nothing?  E.g., how do
we know they've run the test suite and made sure every failure is
either fixed or analyzed to conclude that it isn't a real problem?

Bottom line, I'd really love to see someone volunteer to do this job
in a way that we could simply rely on them and point to their site (or
copy stuff from there to ELPA), but I'm not holding my breath, having
done that several times myself.  It's not an easy job, and requires
non-trivial investment of time and effort.