Re: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 25.3 released

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] Emacs 25.3 released
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2017 10:04:27 +0300

> From: address@hidden (Phillip Lord)
> Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 21:37:48 +0100
> Cc: Richard Copley <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> Perhaps, I should start uploading binaries to alpha.gnu.org for a few
> days, before moving them to release; this would be the second set of
> binaries to have an issue in this cycle.

That's normally done, AFAIK, but for an emergency release it would be
good to be able to avoid an extra upload to a different place.

I don't think we should canonicalize a solution to this particular
problem.  It is quite unique.  I knew about the issue for a few years,
but never suspected a back-stab from MinGW import libraries.  Chances
for this scenario to repeat itself are quite slim.  The only amendment
to our procedures that I'd suggest to consider is to ask a couple of
people to unpack and run the binary on various versions of Windows
once it's uploaded.  This is what Nicolas did with the source tarball,
after uploading it to the GNU FTP site.