Re: Make mode-line number display consistent when both line and col numb

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: Make mode-line number display consistent when both line and col numbers are shown.
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 09:26:49 -0400

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 5:22 AM, Colin Baxter <address@hidden> wrote:

    > If it is a matter of opinion, I wanted to take the time to show my
    > support for this patch. At the very least I'd like to be able to
    > toggle it.

Obviously I cannot object if the feature can be turned off and is not the
default.

​I think you have that backwards.  This should be the new default so that it benefits the many users to whom it will immediately make sense.  Then for others who prefer the non-uniform prior style there could be a menu option.

I think an even better solution would be to simply make add a format variable that would specify how these appear as this would be straightforward to implement.  Presently, it is too difficult to change this value in an init file because the format is embedded in a deep structure and the format string is mixed in with the propertization of the string.  Separate out this format string into its own variable, line-column-number-format, and things would be much simpler.  Everyone could set it as they like, though I would still advocate for a consistent default for the L,C display.

Bob