Re: Emacs 26.1 release branch created

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 26.1 release branch created
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 18:44:12 +0300

> From: address@hidden (João Távora)
> Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 19:09:53 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> 1. Either the half-baked work is reverted in the emacs-26 branch; or
>
> 2. It is left in as-is. This is not recommended. Although
>    it doesn't break any compatibility I know of, it's not good work
>    at all. Among other things, it introduces a user-visible variable that I
> got
>    rid of in the meantime.
>
> 3. "A few finishing touches" aka "makeup on a pig" are applied.
>
> 4. The bulk of my flymake rewrite somehow makes it into emacs-26 in
>    time. It would be nice to see it in a release, but it's certainly not
>    "a few finishing touches"
>
> 5. ?
>
> Sorry for noticing this so late in the process.
>
> The flymake rewrite is progressing quite nicely in the
> scratch/flymake-refactor branch. It is mostly ready for review, I will
> post here very soon.

I'm confused: why are there parts of this work on emacs-26, and other
parts on a scratch branch?  Does the latter continue where the former
left off? or is it an entirely different code?

Also, how long (calendar-wise) do you envision it to take you to get
to the point where the code is not "half-baked"?

Thanks.