Re: Wish List: support making *scratch* persistent

From: Robert Weiner
Subject: Re: Wish List: support making *scratch* persistent
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2017 09:32:14 -0400

On Mon, Oct 2, 2017 at 7:01 AM, Robert Inder <address@hidden> wrote:

I'd like to be able to make the *scratch* buffer persist between sessions.

I realise that it is meant for things I don't want to save.  But every few months, I get interrupted or distracted, and realise I have quit emacs or rebooted a machine while there was something significant in *scratch*.  To know that I wouldn't lose stuff when that happened, I'd happily pay the price of having to flush the buffer occasionally.

I can't be the only one that is bitten by this from time to time.

​You are not.  The "persistent-scratch" package available from MELPA does exactly what you want.  Simply install it and add this to your Emacs initialization file:

;;; Persistent Scratch - make *scratch* buffer persist across Emacs invocations
(persistent-scratch-setup-default)

Bob