I'm working on getting the pretest out, but...

From: Nicolas Petton
Subject: I'm working on getting the pretest out, but...
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2017 22:47:03 +0200

Hi guys,

I'm working on getting the first pretest of Emacs 26.1 out.

I'm fixing errors in ChangeLog entries one by one (there are more than
200), which is a bit tedious.

This problem seems to reoccur for each first pretest of a major
release.  Many commit messages have wrong file paths, which is an easy
mistake to make since there's no check being performed (Magit and VC
can help with that though).

There's already a pre-commit hook that does some checks on ChangeLog
entries, and I was thinking that maybe we could extend it to check for
the existence of file paths referenced in commit messages.

Another problem I'm facing is author names.  I get 30 ignored authors
when updating etc/AUTHORS.  Some of them are easy to fix given that they
are known contributors.

To my surprise however, some of these names refer to old commits (1998
being the oldest).  I don't remember having this issue in the past,
which is weird, and I'm wondering what to do with these ChangeLog
entries.

Nico