Re: Something weird with when-let*/if-let*

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Something weird with when-let*/if-let*
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2017 22:03:16 +0200

Noam Postavsky <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 3:13 PM, Eric Abrahamsen
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> This sounds pretty likely. What actually determines the order of
>> compilation, btw? I can see how the chain of requires spreads out, but I
>> don't know where it starts.
>
> I believe the order of compilation is determined only by 'make'; the
> requires only tell the compiler to load the elc or el file, not
> compile it (and note that a require inside an (eval-when-compile ...)
> form will not appear in the elc file).

Thanks, that's really useful information. So even doing (require
'message) in nnimap.el wouldn't allow us to benefit from the
eval-when-compile load of subr-x in message.el.

Besides message.el, nnimap.el is the only gnus lib to use when-let*. I
can just add another subr-x require in nnimap for now -- if it starts
getting used in more places, I guess we can require subr-x
unconditionally in gnus.el.

Thanks,
Eric