Re: custom-set-variables considered harmful

From: Philippe Vaucher
Subject: Re: custom-set-variables considered harmful
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 10:02:29 +0100

The idea is basically to use a syntax which happens to look close to
what you'd write by hand if you weren't using Customize, so that users
who copy&paste snippets of code end up copying more or less valid code,
instead of copying "code" like

    '(toto 2)

and then be surprised that it doesn't do anything.

Good idea! It's also consistent with "Show saved lisp _expression_" from customize buffers.

In my case, I always delete the whole custom-set-variables block and move the relevant parts in my config, but have to transform the sexps into their `setq` equivalent, which is annoying.

Philippe