Re: Git help please - checking out old commit doesn't find lib/gnulib.mk

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Git help please - checking out old commit doesn't find lib/gnulib.mk.in.
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2017 19:24:48 +0100

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello, Emacs.
>
> I'm attempting to check out a moderately old version of Emacs with:
>
>     $ git checkout 10c0e1c
>
> .  This appears to work.  I then attempt to build it with:
>
>     $ time make -j17 bootstrap
>
> .  This fails with:
>
>     make: *** No rule to make target 'lib/gnulib.mk.in', needed by
> 'Makefile'.  Stop.
>
> .  It would appear that the git checkout has failed to restore the state
> of the given commit, in that it hasn't restored the indicated file.  Is
> this in fact the case?
>
> What do I have to do to restore this version in a state I can build.
> (System: 64-bit GNU (Gentoo)).

lib/gnulib.mk.in was introduced on March 2017 while the version you are
checking out corresponds to February 2016. Hence it is expected that the
file is missing.

It seems that you are re-using a build directory, so the problem you see
is expected as well.

As the build system (and Emacs in general) changed quite a bit since,
I'll start with a pristine state. In you emacs checkout:

$ git clean -f -d -x

This will delete everything that is not versioned (build artifacts,
etc). Then create a new build directory and proceed as usual.