Re: Minibuffer positioned at a location other than the bottom of the fra

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Minibuffer positioned at a location other than the bottom of the frame?
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2017 11:26:13 +0100

>> There I raised the notion of (optionally) moving the modeline to the top of
each window and positioning the
>> minibuffer to the top of the frame.
>
> This should be much easier, see
>
>    https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-10/msg00895.html
>
> and followups.

I doubt that "Positioning the minibuffer to the top of the frame" would
be "much easier": When Emacs enlarges the minibuffer window it then has
to move all windows beneath down by the number of lines the minibuffer
window has been enlarged.  To not make these windows' texts move down
accordingly (which would constitute a very unpleasent visual experience)
we would have to try to change these windows' start positions and
restore them accordingly when shrinking the minibuffer window back.
Obviously, with point near the top of the window or varying line heights
such an attempt might become very tricky or even impossible.

Putting the minibuffer window below some arbitrary (maybe even internal)
window of a frame would not run into such difficulties.

martin