Re: automake's .el support vs. recent loss of byte-compile-dest-file

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: automake's .el support vs. recent loss of byte-compile-dest-file
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2017 18:36:19 +0200

> From: Jim Meyering <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2017 17:17:59 -0800
> Cc: emacs-devel <address@hidden>, Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
>
> >> I've just posted an automake fix:
> >> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/automake/2017-11/msg00038.html
> >
> > Thanks.  The question that's important to us is, of course, when will
> > this fixed version be available widely enough for us to consider
> > removing the support for the old ones.
>
> I agree. What Emacs does here will influence at least the wording of
> the automake NEWS entry for that automake change I mentioned. Should I
> call it a bug fix, because this behavior will make it into a release?
> Or is it just a work-around for those who happen to be using
> pre-release Emacs, and it won't affect anyone using an actual release?

My intention, unless I hear objections, is to resurrect the removed
feature on the emacs-26 branch, but add an annoying warning there, so
that any packages and maintainers who didn't notice the deprecation
will do so sooner rather than later.  But the feature will remain
removed on the master branch, which will eventually become Emacs 27.
So I think your change is a bug fix, and its purpose is to make
Automake future-proof against imminent changes in Emacs.  It is also
for those who already use development snapshots of Emacs 27, because
the function will remain removed there.

Thanks.