Emacs port to gcc -fcheck-pointer-bounds

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Emacs port to gcc -fcheck-pointer-bounds
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2017 23:34:54 -0800

In <https://debbugs.gnu.org/29600> I published patches to port Emacs to the -fcheck-pointer-bounds option of GCC, so that I can debug Emacs with hardware pointer bounds checking on platforms that support it (such as the Kaby Lake chip in my year-old laptop running Ubuntu 17.10). This entails changing the fundamental Emacs internal word from an integer to a pointer of the same width - which is not as big a deal as one might think, as the commonly-used EMACS_INT type does not change and Emacs users and Emacs Lisp programmers should not notice any change.

I would like to install these patches on 'master' soon, and am mentioning this on emacs-devel to give a heads-up to the few but hardy volunteers who work on the low-level part of the Emacs implementation.