Re: The name gnus-cloud.el

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: The name gnus-cloud.el
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 17:34:22 -0500

On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 16:26:57 -0500 Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I had some followups, last one:
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-07/msg00617.html

RS> I looked at the old conversation.  It was said that the name
RS> gnus-cloud.el was a joke.  I asked, what is the joke, and no one said.

RS> Now that the file is installed, I can look at it.  I don't see
RS> anything in the file that is evidently a joke.  What is the joke?

I think the main joke is that it's the kind of cloud that the GNU
project might produce. But it's only funny until we start analyzing it.

RS> Back then, you said,

RS>     OK, I'll let you and Lars and the maintainers figure it out. Let's do
RS>     the rename, if that's the decision, after the current gnus-cloud code is
RS>     reviewed and merged, or it will get confusing (because the feature
RS>     branch currently removes the old gnus-sync.el).

RS> That time has now arrived.

I don't see a discussion between you and Lars and the maintainers.
Please come to an agreement with them. My vote is for the Silly Party.

RS> The file starts with this:

RS> ;;; gnus-cloud.el --- storing and retrieving data via IMAP

RS> So how about renaming it to gnus-imap.el?  That name is clear and fits
RS> what the program does.

RS> Or perhaps gnus-imap-sync.el; it would say more about what functionality
RS> the file provides.

I'd like to avoid pinning the name on IMAP, that's just a storage backend.

Ted