Re: Change of Lisp syntax for "fancy" quotes in Emacs 27?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Change of Lisp syntax for "fancy" quotes in Emacs 27?
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2018 03:06:39 +0100

Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2018-02-03 20:16, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> > Helpfulness of error messages surely depends on the beholder, and on
> > expectations.  In my eyes,
> >
> >> Symbol's value as variable is void: 'аbbrevs-changed
> > is quite clear: you think this        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ is a quoted
> > thing, but the error message calls it a symbol.  So there must be a
> > problem with that quote, it has obviously gotten read as part of the
> > symbol.  Sure, you have still to find out why.
>
> I think you're making Eli's point, actually :)
>
> The problem isn't the quote: it's the CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER A instead
> of LATIN SMALL LETTER A.  IOW, (string= "аbbrevs-changed"
> "abbrevs-changed") is nil.

Oh.  Why is then there a quote in this error message?

FWIW, I'm not against doing something that helps the user in such
situations.  But these are problems in the interaction between the user
and Emacs, so we should care about it on that (the interface) level.
And keep Lisp, the language, simple.

Michael.