Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 18:22:42 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 11:26:37 -0800
>
> >> It's weird that we're failing there. If we're looking at a buffer with
> >> dumped contents, we set b->text->beg to NULL, then use the normal
> >> buffer-allocation procedure (whichever we're compiled to use) to
> >> allocate memory for the contents. How can the resulting address ever be
> >> equal to what we started with? Neither mmap_realloc nor r_re_alloc nor
> >> xrealloc should ever reuse the address.
> >
> > You are talking about what enlarge_buffer_text does?  IOW, this:
>
> It should be fixed now. Give it a shot.

Thanks, the problem is indeed fixed, and with that I was able to
successfully complete the bootstrap.

I also tested an optimized build, and a parallel "make -j8" build, and
they all worked as expected.

The times to load the .pdmp file are around 20 msec for an unoptimized
build and 7 msec for an optimized build, which I think is very
impressive.

For the record, this is a 32-bit MinGW build configured with
"--with-large-int --with-modules --enable-checking", on a 3-year old
Core i7 box running Windows 7.