Re: Preview: portable dumper

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Preview: portable dumper
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 14:31:07 -0800

On 02/16/2018 02:02 PM, Daniel Colascione wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by high quality in this context.

I mean code that is written with reasonable care to check for ranges, much as Emacs normally does. For example, INTEGER_TO_CONS checks for ranges before converting its argument to EMACS_INT. When such code runs afoul of -Wconversion, my experience is that the false alarm rate is so high that -Wconversion causes more trouble than it's worth. I suspect that pdumper.c also had a bunch of false alarms, which is why it contains all that gorp with ALLOW_IMPLICIT_CONVERSION and DISALLOW_IMPLICIT_CONVERSION. I'll try to pry free some time to look in more detail at pdumper.c and see whether there's a way to fix it without worrying so much about -Wconversion.

    if programmers were angels, no warnings would be necessary. The
    point is to *keep* the code high quality,

Which is why I advocate not using -Wconversion: as a rule, -Wconversion takes good code and makes it worse. Of course there are always exceptions, and perhaps pdumper.c is one of those exceptions.