Re: New functions remote-exec-path and remote-executable-find

From: Philipp Stephani
Subject: Re: New functions remote-exec-path and remote-executable-find
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2018 19:27:30 +0200

Michael Albinus <address@hidden> schrieb am Mo., 18. Juni 2018 um 17:17 Uhr:
Hi,

these days I'm working on bug#31704. The point is, that for searching of
programs, always `exec-path' (a list of local directories) is taken,
even if the shell runs on a remote host. Therefore, I propose a new
function `remote-exec-path'. In case of a remote `default-directory',
the function returns a list of directories which belong to that
host. Implemented via file name handlers. For a local
`default-directory', `exec-path' is returned.

And while we are at this, a second new function `remote-executable-find'
comes to mind. Like `executable-find', it returns the local absolute
file name of a command, also determined by `default-directory'. This
function doesn't need file name handlers, it would use
`remote-exec-path' for its implementation.

I don't need `remote-executable-find' for fixing bug#31704, but I
remember that such a function has been asked for in the past.

Comments?

There have been multiple occasions where such functions would have been handy for me, so I'm strongly in favor of adding them. Thanks!