Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: git history tracking across renames (and emacs support)
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 17:40:44 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I wish there was a way to make these buffers without buffer-file-name and
>> still have vc collect the entries from them.  Also, after committing, the
>> entries would actually be removed.
>
> How 'bout making C-x 4 a add entries directly to the *vc-log* buffer
> when there's one and there's no ChangeLog?

I though about that too, but how exactly you deal with multi-file
commits?  The current ChangeLog file, akward as it is, solves this
problem: when you M-x vc-next-action from the *vc-dir*, only the entries
pertaining to the marked files are fetched into the log buffer by
`log-edit-insert-changelog'.

> Maybe another take on it is to use a "hidden" ChangeLog file, saved
> somewhere in ~/.emacs.d, indexed by the project location and with some
> way to recover some earlier commit message you worked on and had
> to abandon?

A single ChangeLog for all my C-x 4 a needs?  Doesn't sound bad, too.
All that would be needed, I think, is to make log-edit-insert-changelog
fix the paths and refill the "paragraphs" when collecting entries.

It leaves me with the multiple-commit-per-day-per-file problem.  I think
the entries copied to the vc-log buffer by `log-edit-insert-changelog'
could be deleted from that file when you C-c C-c (log-edit-done).

João