Re: Use of "Action stamps" in commit messages

From: Radon Rosborough
Subject: Re: Use of "Action stamps" in commit messages
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 11:07:26 -0600

> They will stop being useful if we ever change our VCS.

Maybe I'm missing something, but -- if we change to a different VCS,
we are going to have to rewrite all the history anyway. Why would it
be difficult to have a filter that goes through and replaces all the
Git commit IDs with the corresponding ones for the new VCS?

Sure, it'd be annoying and possibly fairly difficult, but changing to
a different VCS is a thing that -- even if it does happen, which I
doubt -- will happen extremely rarely.

I can understand if we avoid using Git commit IDs in the code, where
we don't want to rewrite history at all, but why not in the commit
messages?