Re: Changing a cl-defstruct definition in a published package

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: Changing a cl-defstruct definition in a published package
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2018 14:26:51 -0400

On 2018-07-13 13:01, João Távora wrote:
> There's no way to fix the problem now without breaking backward compatibility
> because by now B's use of your accessor has been compiled into something that
> probably looks like an aref into an array.

Indeed, I suspected as much…

> So if you change your object layout in A, you break a compiled B.

Right, but I can't afford that.  Do you have ideas on workarounds?
Some other source-based package managers recompile dependencies on update.
IIUC, package.el doesn't do that.  Maybe it should?  But it sounds like a lot
of extra work.

What would you do? I don't think breaking all packages that depend on FlyCheck
is a valid option :/

Clément.