Re: [ELPA] New Package: greek-polytonic.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New Package: greek-polytonic.el
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 21:32:32 +0300

> From: Cesar Crusius <address@hidden>
> Cc: Johannes Choo <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2018 10:11:01 -0700
>
> > Is this a good idea?  It seems to go against the intent of whoever is
> > typing the text: they do want the decomposed characters to appear in
> > the text.  Emacs will automatically (by default) compose them on
> > display (and if it doesn't, that's a bug that should be reported and
> > fixed), per Unicode requirements, and if the font supports the
> > precomposed glyph, you will actually see that glyph on display.
> > Replacing characters with their NFC equivalents should IMO be a
> > separate feature, not something an input method does.  Am I missing
> > something?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "want the decomposed characters to appear
> in the text," but when I am writing polytonic Greek and type the
> sequence above, all I want is to see an alpha+macron+acute in front of
> me.

On display or in the buffer?  If on display, then Emacs should already
do that, provided that the font you are using supports the composed
characters.  That's because by default we have the
auto-composition-mode turned on.

I was talking about what's in the buffer.  I think that if the user
types a sequence of characters, Emacs should generally put those
characters unaltered in the buffer.  If the user wants a precomposed
character, she could always type that character's codepoint using
"C-x 8 RET", no?

But maybe I don't know enough about the expectations of users who
would use greek-polytonic input method, maybe in some use cases such
automatic composition in the buffer is expected?