The netsec thread

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: The netsec thread
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 13:33:03 +0200

I still haven't looked at the code for the netsec branch, but I've got
that scheduled for Sunday.  *crosses fingers*

But that doesn't mean that we can't bikeshed some UI stuff in the
meantime.  :-)

Here's the current NSM info buffer:

And here's Jimmy's new one:

I like the underlining, indentation and *bullet points, but it's looking
like it's moving more in the direction of a TLS debugging buffer than
something that a user has much chance of understanding or navigating.
(The old one also has that problem, but to a lesser degree.)

For instance, displaying the full x.50x/RFC4514 string is a turn-off and
looks like line noise to most people, I think.  Breaking out the three
bits that are of interest, the CN from the issuer, the O from the
recipient, and the host name, is more readable.  (Not to mention that
the strings are usually too long and will wrap on common
configurations.)

And in the opposite direction, breaking out all the encryption stuff
into their own lines doesn't make much sense, I think.  The session
details could be reserved for the `d'etails buffer.  "Encrypt-then-MAC"
sounds so...  internal.  :-)

The explanation line ("... is insecure ...") hasn't been folded
correctly, and it says "reasons" even if there's just one reason.

The addition of the details is great:

The keystrokes should be more standard, though: SPC for forward and DEL
for back (perhaps in addition to the one you've got).  And I was unsure
what "quit" would do -- quit the entire connection or just the details
buffer?