Re: Return value of finished threads

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Return value of finished threads
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2018 08:19:14 -0600

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Albinus <address@hidden> writes:

Michael> Yes, likely until a thread-join has happened. And a second thread-join
Michael> on the same thread shall always return ni.

I was wondering which semantics would be preferred here.
Having each thread-join return the same result doesn't seem so bad either.

Michael> How long do we keep the results of dead threads, for which no
Michael> thread-join happens? Do we need a Lisp cleanup function, which purges
Michael> all dead threads results? Or does this the GC, when no Lisp object
holds
Michael> the dead thread any longer?

I didn't look deeply but I think instead of mark_threads, alloc.c would
need to mark any thread it runs across; and then mark_one_thread could
handle exited threads specially.

Michael> (Btw, I believe it will be much better when you implement this. It is
Michael> still hard for me to read and modify threads.c)

I will see if I can find some time.  But I think your patch is close so
you should keep going :-)

Tom