Re: [RFC] automatically retrying network connections

From: Jimmy Yuen Ho Wong
Subject: Re: [RFC] automatically retrying network connections
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2018 15:28:01 +0100

On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 11:28 AM, Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> wrote:
> Jimmy Yuen Ho Wong <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'm currently using generators to alleviate UI blocking a bit, but I
>> haven't found a good answer to making async network processes and then
>> joining their results later. (short of writing a giant block of
>> callback spagetti anyway...)
>
> You want to do a bunch of async HTTP calls, and when they're all
> complete (including possibly some tryLaters), then you finish the entire
> thing?  I don't really see the problem...  can't you just create a queue
> (a la url-queue), or if you want to do all the calls in parallel, just
> create a structure all the threads fill in and the last one that
> finishes does the "complete" action?

The latter, parellel requests, and then join the results when they all
come back. I've come up with some bastardization of MapReduce now, but
this would be a lot nicer if Emacs had something like
https://github.com/chuntaro/emacs-promise built in, so I can combine
it with a generator to emulate async/await semantics.