Re: Introducing thread-safe Tramp

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Introducing thread-safe Tramp
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2018 12:59:41 +0300

On 7/23/18 6:58 PM, Michael Albinus wrote:

As second change, I have modified `vc-refresh-state' to run always in
its own thread. This is because I have observed, that for git
repositories, loading a remote file is often much faster than the
following update of its state in the modeline. For the time being this
behaviour is hard-coded, I haven't seen any drawback for this even for
local files. But we could trigger it also via a user option.

@Dmitry?

No objections from me in principle, but we should probably call vc-file-clearprops right away (is there a chance that some other code calls vc-state before this thread launches and gets stale status?).

We could also make vc-state use the same mutex, in order for it to wait until refresh finished, instead of returning the stale result.