Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-26 0feb673: Display raw bytes as belonging to 'e

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-26 0feb673: Display raw bytes as belonging to 'eight-bit' charset
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2018 10:15:39 -0400

>> > In the Thai language environment, that just might make sense.
>> I don't see why it would ever make sense.
> because users of the Thai language environment most probably know and
> understand what this charset is for.

I know and understand what this charset is for.  Yet I don't see why
eight-bit-control chars should be reported as belonging to this charset
(any more than they should be reported to belong to any of the other
charsets to which they may also belong, such as all the iso8859
charsets).

I believe this happens only by accident: it seems to be the only charset
of its kind defined with `:superset (... eight-bit-control ...)` and
without :supplementary-p.

But maybe the real source of the problem is that eight-bit-control is
defined as :supplementary-p (hard to tell, because I only see doc of
how/when :supplementary-p should be used, but not what it does).

> You are asking why we have this charset in the first place?

No, I understand why we have it, what I don't understand why it should
be considered anything but a bug that eight-bit-control chars should be
considered as belonging to that charset instead of to the
eight-bit-control charset: they belong to both charsets (and to many
others as well), but the "canonical" charset to which they belong should
be eight-bit-control.

        Stefan