Re: tabulated-list sort icon is reversed

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: tabulated-list sort icon is reversed
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 12:47:03 +0200

From: Philippe Vaucher <address@hidden>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 00:00:34 +0200
Cc: Emacs developers <address@hidden>

What do you reckon should be done, switch the direction or let it as it is now?

Not sure.  I'd like others to chime in with their opinions.

Perhaps it should be noted that Emacs is not alone in using the arrow heads this way. The file manager on my Elementary OS system (Patheon) uses ▼ (i.e., a down-pointing triangle) to indicate sorting A-Z and 0-9, the Rhythmbox music player does as well, and the same goes for the image viewer Geeqie (e.g., in its Exif metadata window).

Could be a GNU/Linux vs. Windows / MacOS thing, I don't know. I find Emacs' current way of doing things more intuitive, but that's just me. I don't think you're ever gonna reach consensus on this one.

But I must also say that I generally only look at these indicators to see which column is sorted, not to find out how it's sorted, because I find it's quicker (for me) to just look at a few items.

Just my €0.02, though.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments