Re: How do I paste at new point with middle click?

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: How do I paste at new point with middle click?
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2018 06:39:58 -0700

On Sun, Jul 29, 2018 at 7:37 PM Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> The file NEWS.24 describes how to get back that old behavior, under
> "Selection changes" (near the end of that section).  Did you do what
> it says?

(setq c-basic-offset 4)
(setq initial-buffer-choice 'nil)
(setq inhibit-startup-screen 't)
(when window-system (set-frame-size (selected-frame) 83 125))

(global-set-key (kbd "<mouse-2>") 'x-clipboard-yank)
(setq mouse-drag-copy-region 't)
(setq mouse-yank-at-point 't)
(setq save-interprogram-paste-before-kill 't)
(setq select-active-regions 'nil)
(setq x-select-enable-clipboard 'nil)
(setq x-select-enable-primary 't)

You mentioned "NEWS.24", but the emacs page https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/
does not have a link. So now I have downloaded emacs 24.1 just for the
etc/NEWS file.
The relevant stuff being around line 400 of 1,470 lines.

So I changed the mouse-2 binding:
(global-set-key (kbd "<mouse-2>") 'mouse-yank-at-click)
but the result is the same. The paste happens at point instead of mouse cursor.
Anyway, given that emacs 24 is only now making it into the wild and causing
wild frustration (at least for me), please consider a straight up elisp text box
on the emacs page:

    (global-set-key (kbd "<mouse-2>") 'mouse-yank-at-click)
    (setq mouse-drag-copy-region 't)
    (setq mouse-yank-at-point 't)
    (setq save-interprogram-paste-before-kill 't)
    (setq select-active-regions 'nil)
    (setq x-select-enable-clipboard 'nil)
    (setq x-select-enable-primary 't)

except also with whatever fix is necessary for paste-at-mouse-point
instead of paste-at-point. Thank you. (Aside: I drag selected the above
elisp from a terminal and click-pasted in my browser to the mouse
point and *I CANNOT DO THAT IN EMACS*!! So, you do not seem
to be compatible "with modern X programs".)

Sorry for ranting. Just such a fundamental discontinuity and not-
normal-X-behavior is, as I said, "frustrating".

Regards, Bruce