Re: How to test my changes to tramp on Mac OS ?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: How to test my changes to tramp on Mac OS ?
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 23:10:30 +0200

Justin Joseph Kaipada <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello emacs--people,

Hi Justin,

> At work I need to mess with files in Z/OS aka OS 390, since it is unix
> compliant OS, I thought I can connect to it with tramp. I am not sure
> how I can test anything I write. I got tramp source from savannah. If
> I change a file, how to test my changes ? I am seeing many tramp files
> in  /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/net/ with .gz
> extension, will changing this file directly and restarting emacs
> enable me to load this file ? My knowledge on lisp is only beginner
> level, I have tone of time in my hands thou.

The first step would be to use Tramp's test suite. How have you
installed Emacs? I guess it is a distribution on macOS, which hasn't
included the test suite. You will see it, whether your Emacs
installation comes with the file test/lisp/net/tramp-tests.el.

Pls check this first, and if the file does not exist, ask the
distributor of your Emacs, whether all the Emacs tests can be provided
as well. Personally, I don't use macOS myself, so I cannot answer this
question.

Once you know the status, we could check how to continue.

> Thanks

Best regards, Michael.