Re: pdumper's performance

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: pdumper's performance
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2018 17:49:25 -0400

>> Hm... there's a misunderstanding: the issue is not one of performance
>> problem, but of separation of concerns.  Moving the markbits elsewhere
>> should be done in a separate patch (before or after the pdumper patch).
> There is no separation-of-concerns problem. The mark bit thing isn't some
> unrelated bonus feature of pdumper.

Then I don't understand yet: could you explain why pdumper needs to put
the markbits elsewhere for pdump'd objects than for non-pdump'd objects?

Since the layout of the markbits was designed without thinking of the
pdumper case, I can imagine that maybe the current placement of markbits is
inconvenient for the pdumper case (tho I don't actually which part is
inconvenient).

But surely there should be a way to layout the markbits such that it's
convenient both for pdump'd and the non-pdump'd objects.

        Stefan