Re: Emacs Lisp JIT Compiler

From: Ergus
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp JIT Compiler
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 13:03:36 +0200

Hi!

Sorry for the bother, but I am very interested in this kind of features!

I have 2 simple yes/not questions:

1) Any progress in the JIT work?

2) Do you think we will see it soon in the next release or year for example?

And an extra if you have some more time to reply.

3) I saw that the option to translate Lisp code into C and compile it is
not considered; but I couldn't understand why and how is it better to
use libJIT than a native compiler+binutils. Lisp-c or equivalents could
work to distribute all the emacs internal functions already compiled but
maybe the advanced users could enable it as an experimental feature for
his own functions (with some configuration). Also consider the
pedagogical value of this translator's code and the potential use cases.

Best,
Ergus