Re: syntax based indentation for SQL files (ELPA package proposal)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: syntax based indentation for SQL files (ELPA package proposal)
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 08:16:23 -0400

>> I believe the default behavior should be to enable automatic
>> indentation.  We can provide some way for the user to disable it, of
>> course (actually, I think it would make sense to offer a generic minor
>> mode which provides "dumb" indentation in any major mode).
> I'm happy to see that sql-indent was added to ELPA last year, but I
> agree with Stefan that it would be even better if SQL mode offered
> automatic indentation by default, like major modes usually do.
>
> I could make an attempt to integrate it with SQL mode, with an option to
> turn it off, if there is interest for it?

The main prerequisite for that would be to move sql-indent from elpa.git
to emacs.git.  I think it's a good idea to bring sql.el and
sql-indent.el closer to each other (an alternative would be to move
sql.el to elpa.git, but that's probably not gonna fly), but it's rather
a question for Alex, Michael, and Emacs's maintainers.

        Stefan