Re: Weird problem with inital frame sizing

From: Perry E. Metzger
Subject: Re: Weird problem with inital frame sizing
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 13:01:13 -0400

On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 17:47:29 +0200 Robert Pluim <address@hidden>
wrote:
> "Perry E. Metzger" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On Wed, 12 Sep 2018 10:50:05 -0400 Noam Postavsky
> > <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> Does changing x-wait-for-event-timeout help (or hurt)?
> >>
> >> Possibly doing your manipulation in after-make-frame-functions
> >> would be the correct fix.
> >
> > It would seem to me that requiring users to change their default
> > font in that way rather than just in their .emacs file is a bit
> > heavyweight. It's certainly not documented, and hasn't always been
> > needed in the past...
>
> This might be <https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=31745>,
> which I haven't gotten around to tracking down fully. Itʼs very
> window-manager dependent though. I found that starting emacs with
> '--no-x-resources' made the issue go away, which points to a race
> condition in the initial frame setup.

emacs --no-x-resources doesn't seem to fix it for me. That said, this
is clearly a race condition in the initial frame setup.

Setting x-wait-for-event-timeout to 0.5 "fixes" the problem. The
problem is apparent at the default value of 0.1.

This is quite frustrating and I want it fixed badly so I'm willing
to do whatever will be of assistance to fix this. I've had on and off
issues with race conditions in the initial frame setup, both on X11
and on MacOS/Quartz for years. I'd like them extirpated once and for
all.

Perry
--
Perry E. Metzger                address@hidden