Re: Suggesting `frame-split-biggest-window' Re: customize location and s

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: Suggesting `frame-split-biggest-window' Re: customize location and shape of a new window in a frame
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2018 14:21:18 -0500

On Sat Sep 15 2018 Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > - Is there a possibility to specify, using an ACTION, that a new
> >   window should take over a certain fraction of an existing window
> >   in a vertical split?  I believe this is a common case.  (I may be
> >   missing that this is described somewhere.)
>
> ACTION can be any function you like, so the answer is obviously yes.
> But I don't think there's currently a pre-existing function which does
> that, no.

To make the ACTION arg attractive for a wider range of use cases, I
believe it would be helpful to provide a function that can help with
this.  Yet currently my understanding of the ACTION machinery is too
limited for more specific suggestions of how such a function should
work and hook into this machinery.  (Certainly it is not desirable
if multple packages wanting to use such an approach had to invent
the wheel repeatedly.)