RE: New behavior

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: New behavior
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2018 11:09:33 -0700 (PDT)

> > That users should not, and generally do not, need to know Lisp
> > to customize a user option is not a reason that the doc for that
> > option should not mention the Lisp values. It's true that there
> > is no obligation for the doc to mention the Lisp values, but it
> > generally helps users to do so - so it typically _should_.
>
> There's also no catastrophe if users will read the source to find that
> out.  Especially those who want to know and use Lisp.

No catastrophe, no. No catastrophe even if Emacs provided no
doc strings anywhere.

The point is that doc helps users, including those who, like you
and me, generally have no problem reading the source code.

Being able to consult the source code is the best thing about
Emacs. But being able to do that is not a reason not to help
users by describing argument values and option values in
doc strings.