RE: delete-selection-mode as default

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: delete-selection-mode as default
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 16:12:07 -0700 (PDT)

> > This thread should really be about whether d-s-m
> > should be turned on by default. If you want something
> > different from d-s-m then, by all means, please
> > implement it - but using a new mode name.
>
> It can not be turned on by default without reimplementation because of
> bug#32673 so in fact you are voting against turning it on by default.

Wasn't that bug introduced by particular changes trying to fix
bug #32173?  #32173 says that those changes "break d-s-m",
by inappropriately turning d-s-m off. Just don't do that. It's not
a problem with d-s-m itself, AFAICT.

Regardless. If you think d-s-m can't be turned on by default
then don't turn it on by default. But please don't mess with it.

Worse than not turning it on by default (who really cares that
much?) is ruining it, giving it an incompatible design. It doesn't
need a makeover. Please just leave it alone.

We can wait another 30 years for someone to reconsider
turning it on by default (I won't be here, but I think it will
happen). I didn't really expect it to happen now. Maybe in
another decade or two...