Re: Doc of keyboard macros

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Doc of keyboard macros
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 20:07:25 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 12:36:35 -0400
>
> >>   . You are breaking the manual's style when describing commands: we
> >>     always start with a list of the commands with short descriptions,
> >>     and follow that by the detailed descriptions.
>
> Not sure exactly in which way I broke with that convention.
> Does it mean that I should move the "details" (like the C-u/C-uC-u and
> the F4-vs-C-xe discussion) to after the table?

Yes, I think so.

> Now that I think a bit more about it, I actually wonder why we bother
> discussing this C-u business so early in the "Basic Keyboard Macro".

Because they have very different effect, not just some minor variation
of the original command.

>  @table @kbd
> address@hidden C-x (
>  @item @key{F3}

The second one should be @itemx, not @item.  And I think we should
have F3 first, because "C-x (" is deprecated, and we are now
reinstating it for the benefit of some systems that are either rare or
ones that we aren't supposed to care about too much.

> address@hidden C-x e
>  @item @key{F4}

Same here.

> address@hidden C-u C-x (