Re: History info in C-h f

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: History info in C-h f
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2018 14:01:31 -0400

>> With this hack (which can go into your ~/.emacs), `C-h f defmacro`
>> dutifully informs you that `defmacro` was added to Emacs-1.2 (at least,
>> if you're on `master` and have upgraded very recently), whereas `C-h
>> f advice-add` informs you that it was only introduced in Emacs-24.4.
> Does it make sense to add a feature to `defun'.  I'm thinking another
> optional min version arg that would set a property on the symbol.  That
> can be used by "C-h f" to display the minimum version.  I can see that
> being useful to package/library maintainers and not just Emacs.

I definitely don't want this to be something that needs manual
intervention, except maybe for some very rare cases.

> I had to get rid of this error, otherwise "C-h f" won't work on
> primitves (e.g. `defun' that is used to document other features) or
> symbols that are found in NEWS.1-17

That's what

    (at least, if you're on `master` and have upgraded very recently)

was referring to.  I fixed the etc/NEWS.1-17 and NEWS.18 to match the
expected format, but that's only in master and only pushed yesterday.

        Stefan