Re: Thoughts on getting correct line numbers in the byte compiler's warn

From: Herring, Davis
Subject: Re: Thoughts on getting correct line numbers in the byte compiler's warning messages
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2018 04:34:30 +0000

> I've spend many hours at my PC, trying to figure out a neat way of
> solving this problem.  The above is the best I've been able to come up
> with, so far.

Considering patterns like AoS vs. SoA, could the reader produce (on demand) a
pair: the expression read and a parallel structure of position information?
For example,

'(foo
bar [baz])

=>

((quote (foo bar)) .
 (0 (2 6 [11])))

where the numbers are character offsets from the beginning of the read?  This
loses information on the opening delimiter for each list/cons/vector; it could
be added with certain obvious alterations to the location structure if that's a
problem.

Davis