What is an "input event"?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: What is an "input event"?
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 11:12:15 -0500

Looking at the doc of last-repeatable-command I think we should clarify
what we mean by "input event".  The docstring says:

    Last command that may be repeated.
    The last command executed that was not bound to an input event.
    This is the command ‘repeat’ will try to repeat.
    Taken from a previous value of ‘real-this-command’.

and the manual says:

    This variable stores the most recently executed command that was not
    part of an input event.  This is the command @code{repeat} will try to
    repeat, @xref{Repeating,,, emacs, The GNU Emacs Manual}.

but according to the source code, this variable holds the last command
that was run via a "simple" event such as a keyboard key rather than
a "complex" event like a mouse click (the test is simply CONSP).

Do we somewhere define "input event" to mean an event with parameters?
I thought keyboard keys are also "input events".

        Stefan