Re: Including ESS with Emacs

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Including ESS with Emacs
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2018 12:24:56 -0800

Alex Branham wrote:
Is there a process for figuring out who exactly needs to sign the FSF
copyright paperwork? Is it just authors of the current code according to
git-blame, or everyone who's contributed 15 lines of code, or something
else?

If we accept just the latest version of ESS, we'd need permission only from people who have made significant contributions to that version. We wouldn't need permission from people who made past contributions that haven't survived into the current version.

Unfortunately, though, the question of "who contributed to this line of code?" cannot in general be answered by "look at the git blame output for this line", as the line may have most recently been touched by person X even though its main author was person Y earlier.

I don't know how many contributors we're talking about here, but one possible option is to ask for permissions from everybody, and then if you can't get permission from persons P, Q and R then you look at every commit that they made and see whether any significant part or those commits have survived into the current version. If some bits of code have survived, take them out or rewrite them from scratch (ideally via a cleanroom approach).

Does it make sense for you to email
me the form and then when I reach out I can include the form with my
email?

Sure, here's the form I usually use. Other forms might apply depending on your contributors' concerns.

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnulib.git/plain/doc/Copyright/request-assign.future