Re: a benchmark suite for Emacs

From: Gemini Lasswell
Subject: Re: a benchmark suite for Emacs
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 17:28:26 -0800

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

>> - a local clone of a git repo
>> - a program/shell script that produces an executable given that
>>   git repo and a commit
>> - a directory in the git repo with Lisp files containing tasks to be
>>   benchmarked
>> - a range of commits (as for git-rev-list(1))
>> - a number of commits to select from the range
>>
>> it can use the shell script to build older versions of Emacs from
>> commits selected from the commit range given, run the tasks in those
>> older Emacs, record timing data, errors, process output and messages,
>> and then produce a report in the form of an org-mode file ready for
>> org-babel-gnuplot.
>
> Is it like Diffbench for Ruby?  Something like that was sorely missed
> for a long time in Emacs.

Like Diffbench, but bigger and better.  Diffbench looks like it does a
quick comparison of two states of the project.  That's something this
can do, but my vision for it is to build a database of benchmark results
for multiple machines and for commits going back as far as we can figure
out how to build and run them, so we can see how performance has changed
over time and how it varies on different systems.