Re: Text Properties And Buffer Modification

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Text Properties And Buffer Modification
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2018 10:32:28 -0500

> Whether or not the properties are saved depends on the properties and
> on the major mode.  E.g., modes that use markup are expected to save
> at least some text properties.

Right: in 99% of the cases, when text-properties are modified you want
to wrap it within a with-silent-modifications.

I think when text-properties were added it would have been perfectly
fine to make them not touch the modified-ticks so the buffer is not
marked as modified.  Making this change now is a good bit
more delicate, which is why we haven't made it in the last 10 years,
even though the situation was already the same 10 years ago.

> No, I don't agree with that.  Don't forget that the modified status is
> important for more than just saving to a file: it is important for
> redisplaying the buffer, for example.

Really?

        Stefan