Re: 900276502f..: Paul Eggert 2018-11-13 Act like POSIX sh if $HOME is r

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: 900276502f..: Paul Eggert 2018-11-13 Act like POSIX sh if $HOME is relative
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 17:55:12 +0100

João Távora <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 3:15 PM Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>> You are asking for being bug-compatible with previous Emacs because you
>> must cope with bugs on other applications :-)
>

> Yes, if you will.  That is what the world is like.

Yes, sadly :-)

>> Do you think that this
>> problem is frequent enough?
>

> Every time I start Emacs, or everytime someone in my $DAYJOB starts Emacs
> after upgrading to Emacs 27.  Frequent enough?

I was asking about an heuristic to estimate the hypothetical fraction of
affected users. Something like "I know two guys on the Internet with the
same problem."

>> What applications are those that don't admit
>> an slash after the volume letter in HOME?
>>

> 30-year+ old, big bad misbehaving Lisp-based applications.  Kinda like
> Emacs, I suppose :-)

Let me guess: those applications share the same runtime and/or
libraries.

FWIW, I'm not opposed to keeping Emacs bug-compatible on this case. (As
if my opinion had some value :-)