Re: Some question about external method of elpa

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Some question about external method of elpa
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2018 09:06:11 -0500

> When I read the below part of README, I think that manual run "make externals"
> is needed :-(, so I think externals is same complicated as subtree.

`make externals` is needed if you want to have a local checkout of all
the packages is elpa.git.  But if you don't care about the other
packages you don't need it.

> posframe.git, and push to remote elpa, I do not need download elpa.git,

You do need to have some part of elpa.git.  For "subtree", that part is the
`master` branch, and for "external" that part is the
`external/<pkgname>` branch.  And when adding the external branch you
also need the `master` branch, just to modify the `externals-list` file.

> why I need "make externals" if cron auto run it ?

You don't *need* it.  You may want to use it (e.g. I use it because
I just want to have all GNU ELPA packages automatically installed, so
I build&install them in-place with `make externals; make`).

>     If know you don't want a local package, but don't know which of these
>     two options you prefer, then use a subtree.

Note that this phrase now says:

    If you don't know which of these two options you prefer, then use an
    "external" (and also if your package is large).

-- Stefan