Re: Elisp 9P?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Elisp 9P?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 21:21:32 -0800

Eric Lindblad wrote:
"It makes no sense to put this feature into Emacs, which is the wrong place for
it.  The right place for it is in the kernel (Linux or the Hurd), so that all
the application programs will be able to use it."

This sounds reasonable. v9fs has been in the Linux kernel since 2.6.14 and that should let GNU/Linux application programs use 9P without modification. So why would we want to modify apps like Emacs to implement 9P separately? What am I missing here?