Re: Process: Determining the origin of a command loop.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Process: Determining the origin of a command loop.
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2018 17:24:50 +0200

> Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 20:34:48 -0800
> From: Keith David Bershatsky <address@hidden>
>
> One of the items on my todo list for developing feature requests #22873
> (multiple fake cursors) and #17684 (crosshairs and visible fill column) is
> the suppression of redrawing the cursor(s) in certain windows due to output
> from an ongoing process in one of many visible window.
>
> Let us assume that a user has an _inactive_ window that has ongoing activity;
> e.g., an *Eshell* buffer is compiling an application and output necessitates
> that its window be updated.  The user is viewing source code in another
> window, which may or may not be a different frame all together.  The frame
> with the *Eshell* buffer may even be hidden behind the active frame.  As
> output arrives to the *Eshell* buffer, redisplay is updating the cursor in
> that window and also the active window.
>
> I am unaware of any reason why the cursor in the active window needs updating
> in this situation.

The way the code is written, we might move the cursor as part of
updating the window, and the code doesn't record the fact whether it
did or didn't move the cursor, or turned it off.  So it always
redisplays the cursor on the correct place at the end.

> Q:  How can I determine the origin of the command loop in this situation so
> that I can suppress the cursor from being updated in the active window?

I don't really understand the question ("origin of the command loop"?
what's that?), and more generally, don't see why you would want to
suppress the cursor update.